The Alqueva Multi-purpose Project is a structural project in the south of Portugal and is considered a key investment in regional development.
The Alqueva Dam is the life-giving feature of the Project and its reservoir guarantees the source of the region’s future, water. Its infrastructures are making Alentejo’s greatest dream come true and making one of Europe’s most disadvantaged regions economically and socially viable.
The Alqueva Project is the greatest investment ever made in Alentejo.
The region’s challenge is proportional to its size and opens unique prospects for restarting economic and social development and making an effective addition to the region’s GDPs:
- creating new investments and undertaking new economic activities
- integrating projects and activities and ensuring their complementarity
- creating new and more qualified jobs
- making Alqueva a key brand in terms of quality of products and services
- making Alqueva a benchmark for innovation and technology.
Alqueva is also sustainable regional project, as:
- it assists the region’s social, corporate and institutional fabric
- it maintains and enhances the region’s character, culture and identity
- it promotes Alqueva as a paradigm of environmental quality
- it lays down criteria of competitiveness and profitability of investments
The Alqueva Project is thus a key instrument that integrates and complements business projects.